The Florida Keys Healthy Start Coalition has partnered with Centennial Bank to promote child passenger safety. Certified technicians inspected the car seats of any parent who brought their car, child, and seat to Centennial Bank locations, most recently at the Key Largo branch.
Techs and fire department personnel worked with parents to properly fit the seat into their car, and the child safely into the seat. Many seats did not pass inspection and low cost, certified car seats were available to replace them. Firefighters destroyed the unsafe seats so they could never be used again.
Florida Keys Healthy Start and Centennial Bank want to educate parents on the following points:
- 3 out of 4 car seats are improperly installed
- Most car seats expire 5 to 6 years from manufacture
- All kids under 13 should ride in the rear seat
- Infants should ride in rear facing car seats installed in the back seat
- After outgrowing regular seats, kids should ride in booster seats until they are 80 lbs
For more information see www.keyshealthystart.org.